Request for Review of Academic Policy
Academic policies are designed to provide fairness and to maintain academic quality. Academic policies include admission and progression standards. As a general rule, the university does not grant exceptions to academic policy for individual students. A student or group of students may request that an academic policy be reviewed and considered for modification for future application of the policy, provided changes in the policy will benefit many students. The following procedure must be followed for a request to review an academic policy. The Academic Grade Appeal Policy may not be used for this purpose.
- The student(s) should submit a letter to the SGA Academic Policy Committee indicating the policy to be reviewed, requested changes, and how the change in policy will benefit multiple students.
- The chairperson of the Academic Policy Committee will convene with the Appeals Committee to review the request within 15 calendar days of receiving the request. The committee will be composed of all Student Government members, and has the right to request an additional two to three student representatives, who are outside of the Student Government Association, selected by the chairperson.
- The committee will review the request and make a recommendation to the SGA to proceed with the request or to indicate in writing to the student who submitted the request that the committee does not support the request. The committee shall explain the rationale for its recommendation. The committee may take 15 calendar days to do an assessment of the policy and to determine the potential outcomes for changing the policy as requested.
- The chairperson of the committee will act on the committee’s recommendation within seven calendar days after receiving the committee report. If the SGA determines that it will pursue a review of the academic policy, the chairperson will meet with appropriate university officials to review the policy. Should the committee decide not to pursue the review, the chairperson will correspond with the student. If the policy is a university-wide policy, the chairperson will meet with the Chief Academic Officer. If the policy is departmental, the chairperson will meet with the Chair of the Department.
- The chairperson will communicate in writing to all involved parties concerning the outcome of the appeal process within 15 days of meeting with the appropriate university administrator.
- The administrator/department chair will communicate in writing to the student(s) initiating the appeal, giving the reasons for the outcome, within 15 days of the meeting with the SGA chairperson of the Academic Policy Committee.
Since this is an internal procedure, legal counsel shall not be involved in the process.